After falling in love with my Dad’s Bonneville, I picked up a 2003 T100 from a nice chap who hadn’t covered many miles since new. It was great as it was, stock apart from TOR exhausts, but I wanted to simplify the look a little and put my own touch to it. My dad and I cut the front and rear mudguards down in our garage and had them re-sprayed along with the tank – all in black, and I replaced the stock badges with the older style mouth organ type. Wider black bars required longer cables and I added fork gaiters. That was as much as I could afford for a while.
This took a little longer, personally, the bike still looked a little too cluttered for what I imagined. So I did away with the rear fender, choosing to go with an MAS fender eliminator – but the main work took place at the front end. It took my quite a while to get a 5.5 inch bottom mounted bates light with a 55w internal – I had to get them separately. After being inspired by the pictures and instructions on the Bonnefication blog – I bought a mini speedo with warning lights. A good friend of mine, Phil Skeels, built me a light bracket, rectifier bracket and simple speedo mount. I bought Oberon indicators front and rear and then handed over the electrical work to Raceways Motorcycle Mechanics in Hertfordshire (who did a really tidy job). I then bought Mototwin Pea Shooter silencers to complete change the sound of the bike and added a clear sprocket cover and LSL flat track bars. Stage 2 complete. Stage 3 started a year later and involves a rather special duo known as Co-Built.
To be continued…